Personal Capture allows you to create personal recordings, outside of the classroom, providing additional learning materials for students.
Personal Capture recordings are saved locally. You can then manually publish them to the ESS, or check the Auto-Publish checkbox to publish a recording immediately when finished.
The ability to /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217621 means that you can practice with the program and create as many test recordings as you like. You can even practice editing the recordings until you are comfortable with the interface, and delete the test recordings when you no longer need them.
The ability to /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217621 means you can complete a recording and walk away from the computer and even close the application as soon as you are finished. The recording will be published to the ESS in the background.
When using PCAP for Windows, be sure that Windows Display Scaling is set to the default of 100% (see Control Panel > Display settings). Windows Display scaling, when enabled, can cause distortion and pixelization of the visual portion of PCAP captures. Refer to the attached image of the Control Panel > Display dialog box if necessary.
Creating a Recording
To begin creating a Personal Capture recording:
- Enter a Title for the recording using the title bar at the top of the page. You can change this later if needed.
- Check or set the /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217629. Use the Preview window to make sure they are capturing what you need to include in the recording.
- Check or set the /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217629.
- Set up the presentation or visual experiment or other items you are planning to capture, and check the Preview panes for verification.
- Check or Uncheck /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217621 as appropriate.
- Click Record.
The locations for performing each of these steps is identified in the below figure.
After you click Record:
- If Auto-publish is checked, the following dialog box appears asking you to enter a Title, select a Course, and the Output you want for the published recording.
- A five-second countdown appears in the window, shown in the below figure.
- Once the countdown finishes, recording begins and the preview window minimizes to the taskbar.
- The Record button changes to show Stop and Pause.
You can use the Stop and Pause buttons in the interface to manipulate the recording, or you can use the keyboard shortcuts as follows:
- Pause/Resume toggle: Alt+F5
- Stop: Alt+F6
After the capture is completed, the recording appears in the list of recordings at the bottom of the Personal Capture window. From there you can /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217621, /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217627, or delete the recording. The figure below shows the Publish, Edit and Delete icons that appear when you hover your mouse over a recording in the list.
If the Auto-publish was checked, the capture is also automatically published to the ESS when you stop recording. Be advised, however, that if Auto-publish is checked, you cannot /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217627 before publishing it to the ESS. The recording will still be saved locally, so you can edit the capture and re-publish it later if necessary. Or you can /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217387 if needed.
Deleting a Recording
If you no longer need to keep a recording, you can delete it.
Deleting a recording in Personal Capture does not delete the capture from the ESS (if the recording was published). It simply deletes the recording from the local machine. If appropriate, you may want to check the information shown for the recording, to see that the recording was published, prior to deleting it.
To delete a recording, hover the mouse over the recording you want to delete and click the Delete icon, as shown in the below figure.
You will be asked to confirm the deletion. Deletion is permanent and cannot be undone.