Licensing your EchoSystem installation involves the following phases:
- Purchasing the appropriate types of licenses for your configuration.
- Downloading the licenses to your EchoSystem Server (ESS). Even if you have an existing licensed ESS system, you may need to update your license configuration to accommodate any system upgrades, such as to a new ESS version with associated updated components.
- Assigning licenses to /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217276 or /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217291 as necessary. If your capture licenses are all Site licenses, you do not need to configure these further. If you purchased Personal Capture licenses, you should plan to review and, if necessary, adjust those individual license assignments.
Some of the licenses you can purchase are service-type licenses, meaning they apply to a single server or service. Those licenses are listed below.
- Echo360 Feature Licenses - Feature licenses provide access to specific Echo360 features including:
- Media Import (EMI) License - Allows users to import external media files to the ESS for distribution along with the section's Echoes.
- Collaboration and Statistics Server (sometimes also called HEMS) - Allows for the use of /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217450 such as discussions for Echoes and chat for live webcasting.
- Download Presentation License - Allows users to download the EchoPlayer browser-based playback of echoes (rather than just a podcast or vodcast download). The option to provide EchoPlayer downloads is configurable at the Organization and Section level.
Once these licenses are purchased and downloaded to the ESS, no more configuration is required.
The other licenses required for your system are capture-type licenses and apply to the devices used to capture classroom activity. These licenses can be either "Site" or "Room" licenses. Site licenses apply to all installations of the licensed capture device and require no further configuration. Room licenses are purchased in bundles and must be assigned to each room where the capture device is located.
Capture licenses include the following:
The remaining type of license available is a Personal Capture license. These are used to license individuals to use /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217403 to prepare and publish presentations for their courses using their personal PC or laptop. These are available only as license bundles that are then assigned to individual staff members.
Download and Update Licenses
After you purchase new licenses or update your existing licenses, your account information is updated on the Echo360 license control server (LCS). Your account license information is recognized using the Customer Identifier you receive from Echo360.
Licensing EchoSystem is required to begin capturing lectures. Before downloading and updating your license information, you must:
- Purchase the appropriate licenses from Echo360. Contact Echo360 Technical Support for more information.
- Enter your Customer Identifier into the /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217264.
- Have outbound Internet access for the ESS, to allow the ESS to contact the LCS to update your license information.
To download and update your licenses:
- Log in to the ESS using the default Administrator account: email@example.com
- Navigate to System > Licensing.
- Click Update. If licensing is successful, a message will appear above the license list indicating that the licensing information was updated successfully.
Interpreting the Licensing Interface
The Licensing page lists all of your available licenses, both server-type and capture-type licenses as well as any Personal Capture (formerly called EchoCapture Personal or PCAP) licenses you may have purchased. The Limitations field on the Licensing page identifies the Device Type of the license, and whether the license is a Site License or a Room License. Room Licenses are indicated in the Limitations list by identifying a Target of "ROOM" and showing a Quantity of total licenses in the license bundle. All Personal Capture licenses have a Target of "PRESENTER".
Because the license names are not always intuitive, the following figure shows a sample License page and includes highlighting to help you identify which licenses apply to what features.
The following table lists the terms in each of the license names that identifies the kind of license it is.
Understanding the identifier in the License Name is important, because when you assign room licenses, you are presented with a drop-down list containing only the license name. You will need to know which license to select for assignment to each room.
The below figure shows a sample drop-down list from the /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217276, with highlights of the License Name text that identifies the license type, as defined above. The same drop-down list appears when you /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217279 or /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217279 to a room.
The interface for /wiki/spaces/54/pages/590217285 from the Users list also uses a drop-down list to select a Personal Capture licenses, but only Personal Capture license bundles appear in that list, so there is no confusion as to which license type to select.