Importing courses into the EchoSystem Server (ESS) requires that you create a CSV or "comma-separated-value" file. The file can have any name you want, as long as it contains a .csv extension. The file format must be as follows:
- There is one course record per line of the file
- The first line of the file should have the column names, as shown in the example below
- Each record value is contained in its own column (if the CSV file is generated by a spreadsheet program, such as Excel) or is separated by a comma in the flat (text) file.
You may want to generate an export of existing courses (Schedule > Courses > Export Courses) to provide a formatted CSV file to use as a base.
You can also update course information in the exported file, then reimport the file to apply the changes to the system.
The column headers and field values are as follows; use UTF-8 ascii characters only:
|Course Name||The name of the course, such as Introduction to Economics.|
|Identifier||An abbreviated identifier for the course, such as ECON101 or ENG330. This also appears in the ESS and the EchoCenter.|
|Organization||See Special Field Descriptions below.|
Special Field Descriptions
Organization names are comprised of two components:
- Organization name
- Suborganization name (if applicable)
They are separated by a sequence of "<space><forward slash><space>" like this: " / "
A valid organization would look like these examples:
- Organization / suborganization
- University / math-department
- University / nursing-school
Following is an example of the format for this file: